UTD Business Analytics Ranking: 9
Understanding how to gather, sort, collate, find patterns in and assess data for meaningful business insight is an increasingly rewarded skill in today’s world. Big Data is rich with potential for increasing business opportunity and success, but only if you know what you’re looking for.<!- mfunc feat_school ->
Enter the Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA). Graduates of this program have the best of both business management skills and data science. This sets you up perfectly for leadership roles within companies and organizations the world over, which is why you should consider it today. And UT Dallas is one of the best options around.
How Long Is the UTD Business Analytics Program?
The MSBA at the University of Texas Dallas’s Naveen Jindal School of Management is a highly targeted and well respected program that lasts as long as you need it to. According to the website, “the Master of Science in Business Analytics program is a 36 semester-credit-hour STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) degree program” that comes in several options:
- Master of Accounting Analytics OR Data Science: These degree paths take a year to complete. You can start in any semester and plan to take classes for three terms.
- Master of Accounting Analytics AND Data Science: If you choose to double major, the program lasts more like 20 months.
- Flex Program: In this model, you can work at your own pace. This is ideal for students who don’t want to quit their jobs or who have lots of family responsibilities to attend to, or both.
What Will You Learn?
Depending on whether you are single or double majoring, you will take a range of courses in business analytics only, or business analytics and accounting. Some of the foundational accounting courses include:
- Intermediate Financial Accounting I
- Ethics for Professional Accountants
- Accounting Communications
- Quantitative Introduction to Risk and Uncertainty in Business
Required business analytics courses include:
- Applied Econometrics and Time Series Analysis
- Database Foundations for Analytics
- Predictive Analytics Using SAS
- Business Analytics With R
- Prescriptive Analytics
- Statistics and Data Analysis OR OPRE 6359 Statistics for Data Science
- Business Analytics Internship
- Programming for Data Science
- Advanced Business Analytics With R
- Applied Machine Learning
- Big Data
What Opportunities Does the Program Offer?
One of the best opportunities offered by this program is that you have the ability to specialize within business analytics. Whereas many programs offer business analytics as a whole, and some only offer it as a subset of a larger MBA, UTD gives you both the well-rounded version and a more focused look at the following areas:
- Accounting Analytics
- Cybersecurity Analytics
- Data Engineering
- Data Science
- Decisions and Operations Analytics
- Financial Analytics
- Healthcare Analytics
- Marketing Analytics
- Social Media Analytics
You can choose which of these to pursue using your elective credits, and can choose several complementary areas if you like. For instance, those who want to going into marketing might choose that and Social Media Analytics. Those who are interested in healthcare risk management might choose Cybersecurity Analytics and Healthcare Analytics. In this way, your experience is ultimately customizable to your exact needs.
How Can You Pay for School?
For residents, tuition for a single major is around $36,000, while out-of-state students can expect to pay more like $52,000. Residents who double major will pay $52,000 and out-of-state students will pay $75,000. These are very reasonable tuition rates, as compared to other MSBAs available in the United States and abroad. Nevertheless, it’s still a lot of money, so definitely explore scholarship options and apply for financial aid if needed.
Dallas is a major business hub, so one of the biggest reasons to go to school here is because of all the networking opportunities. In the program, you’ll get to work with and be mentored by executives, both those who teach at the school and those who are involved with the program. There are many jobs available right there in Texas once you graduate, and the reputation of UTD will take you far beyond as well.
Want to learn more? Get in touch today.