Curtis Penrod, Senior Coordinator of Business Programs at Northwestern State University of Louisiana, joins us today to discuss their BS in Business Administration program with a concentration in Business Analytics and a post-baccalaureate certification in Business Analytics.
1. Can you tell us about the business analytics program offered at the Northwestern State University of Louisiana? *
We offer two different areas of business analytics. First, within our undergraduate BS in Business Administration program, we offer a concentration of Business Analytics. This concentration allows students to take a specific set of courses allowing them have to a more specialized focus within the overall degree program.
We also offer a post-baccalaureate certification in Business Analytics. This 18 credit hour program is for students who already hold a baccalaureate degree to come back to the university and get additional knowledge in the area of business analytics. Students may need to take additional prerequisite courses depending on the area and content of their baccalaureate degree.
2. Is the GMAT & GRE required for acceptance into the program? Do international students have the same requirement? *
The GMAT and GRE are not required for acceptance into either program. International students are not required to have the GMAT or GRE either.
3. How long does a typical business analytics program take at the Northwestern State University of Louisiana? What is the maximum and minimum time of completion?*
For the BS in Business Administration with a concentration in Business Analytics, the desired completion time is four years. However, students can complete in about three years if they take a higher course load. With a lower course load, students may take up to eight years.
For the PBC in Business Analytics, the program can be completed in one year if a student has all of the required prerequisites. If a student only takes one class per semester, the student would take about two years to complete the program.
4. What do you think makes the Northwestern State University of Louisiana business analytics program stand out from other programs offered by similar schools in your region*
I think there are two main reasons the program stands out from similar schools in our region. First, our business analytics program is a combination of technical and business concepts related to analytics. Not all programs offer both of these areas.
Additionally, our program is offered online allowing working adults to complete the program while still maintaining their employment.
5. How important would you say accreditation is when choosing a business analytics program? *
I think accreditation is very important. We are accredited by AACSB which we believe is a reflection of the quality of our programs.
6. What are the advantages of earning a business analytics degree in general and where are you seeing employer demand with this degree? *
Analytics is a growing area nationally and locally. With the growth of data and the ability to analyze that data, companies must embrace analytics to gain knowledge and competitive advantage over their competitors.
Employers are really looking for analytical skills in almost all their hires. While companies certainly hire positions such as business analysts, process analysts, systems analysts, etc., most hiring managers would like to see the ability to conduct business analytics in all their professional staff.
7. Does the Northwestern State University of Louisiana offer job placement for students who graduate with a business analytics degree? *
The university has a Career Services center that assists all students at the university, including students in business analytics.
8. What type of financial aid packages are available for students in business analytics? Are there any fellowships, grants, and scholarships available? *
Students can apply for the same financial aid packages that are available to all students through the federal government, state government, institution, and NSU Foundation/Alumni Association. While there are no specific grants or scholarships allocated to business analytics, they would be eligible for grants or scholarships allocated to the larger business area.
9. Do you have any advice for students enrolling in a business analytics program at the Northwestern State University of Louisiana? *
Depending on the program, make sure you know what is expected in those programs. The PBC in Business Analytics requires certain prerequisites so you want to make sure you have met those prerequisites before starting the program if possible.
Once they start the program, I would just urge them to really try to grasp the materials and gain the knowledge they need to succeed in the workforce.
10. What do you enjoy most about your position at the Northwestern State University of Louisiana? *
For me, I love seeing my students obtain student employment, go to graduate school, or meet whatever goal they are trying to obtain. When I see them accomplish their goals, I feel like we have done our jobs in preparing those students for the future.
For more information on the business analytics programs offered at the Northwestern State University of Louisiana, visit them online.
Thank you for sharing and participating in this piece.
That concludes our interview!